This award is presented by the Institute of Continuing Legal Education and the Probate & Estate Planning Section of the State Bar of Michigan to a Michigan estate planning attorney for outstanding contributions to continuing legal education in Michigan.
- Nancy L. Little (2022)
- Michele C. Marquart (2020)
- George W. Gregory (2017)
- Phillip E. Harter (2015)
- John A. Scott (2013)
- John H. Martin (2011)
- Everett R. Zack (2009)
- John E. Bos (2007)
This award is not necessarily given every year. The award is presented at the Annual Probate & Estate Planning Institute. ICLE will invite the recipient to attend the Institute, and one of the Section officers will present the individual award at the start of the Institute.
With George Cooney’s passing, the State Bar of Michigan lost one of its premier estate planning and elder law attorneys. The Section and ICLE have chosen to jointly create the George A. Cooney Society to recognize a select group of lawyers who epitomize George's dedication to his fellow attorneys and in recognition of his long-term, significant contributions to continuing legal education in Michigan.
ICLE will nominate candidates based upon the specific criteria contained in the Guidelines for Selection and will send a nominating letter to the Section for approval by the Executive Board. The Section’s leadership and at-large members may also recommend candidates to ICLE for consideration.
Guidelines for Selection
- Significant CLE contributions to probate and estate planning over a substantial period of time.
- Outstanding quality of contributions.
- A wide range of contributions, e.g. multiple contributions for the following: speaker, author, editor, advisory board member, curriculum advisor, creating case study scenarios, preparing Top Tips, How-To Kits or other online resources, etc.
- Generous mentorship and assistance to colleagues with their probate and estate planning career development as well as activities and active involvement with the Probate & Estate Planning Section of the State Bar of Michigan.