To improve and expand the knowledge of lawyers who engage in the practice of marijuana law.
2019–2020 Council Meetings
Regular meetings will be phone conferences unless otherwise specified, with any metro Detroit (or other members) welcome to join in person at Section Chair Matthew Abel's office in Detroit at Cannabis Counsel PLC, 2930 E. Jefferson Ave, 2nd Floor lounge.
- November 19—(moved up a week due to Thanksgiving)
- December 16—(moved up to a Monday due to holiday schedule)
- January 27–31, 2020—Hilton Rose Hall Montego Bay Jamaica Trip?
- January 28, 2020—(in Jamaica?)
- February 25, 2020
- March 24, 2020
- April 3, 2020—Pre-Hash Bash CLE in Ann Arbor
- April 28, 2020
- May 26, 2020
- June 11, 2020 Mackinac Island Grand Hotel CLE—Pre-Upper Michigan Legal Institute/Leadership Summit?
- June 23, 2020
- July 28, 2020
- August 28, 2020
- September 22, 2020
- October 22-24, 2020—Annual Conference at Soaring Eagle in Mt. Pleasant
- October 27, 2020—tentative meeting
- November 17, 2020—(Thanksgiving adjustment) tentative meeting
- December 15, 2020—(Xmas adjustment) tentative meeting
Statement of Necessity
During the last six years, it has become apparent that there have been many changes and updates regarding Michigan marijuana law. These changes and updates include, but are not limited to, family law, child protection proceedings, criminal law, business law, first party automobile accident benefits, and landlord/tenant law, to name a few. Patients, caregivers, entrepreneurs, and members of the State Bar of Michigan are constantly trying to keep up to date with never-ending issues that have become imperative to give accurate counsel to clients regarding Michigan marijuana law.
For several years the federal government and the Michigan legislature have enacted laws regarding marijuana's classification as a Schedule I narcotic with penalties stemming from the 1970s and the drug wars during the 1980s. It appears that marijuana has medical uses and is being researched as a cash crop as well. We are well positioned to provide education and outreach services for the legal community to keep them apprised of pertinent state and federal laws as they correlate to marijuana laws in the State of Michigan.
With this in mind, we have decided to take a proactive approach to the anticipated increase of changes in marijuana law as it is evident in our court systems and beyond. We will embark on a journey to encourage the development of the unique aspects of Michigan marijuana laws and to educate the bar to better understand the nuances that go along with representing clients in the constantly changing area of marijuana law.