The practice of law consists of two parts. One part is your brilliant closing argument that won the case for your client, a well-researched brief, a tightly worded contract, or a clever cross-examination. The other part is the business of managing employees, maintaining technology, accurate accounting, and marketing. For many of us, the business side is the least enjoyable and most difficult side of our practice. Fortunately, the State Bar of Michigan can help.
The Practice Management Resource Center (PMRC), a service offered by the State Bar of Michigan, has the following practice management resources:
- A toll-free helpline for answers to practice management questions, (800) 341-9715
- A dedicated webpage with practice management resources
- Print and digital libraries on a variety of business topics
- In-person seminars and webinars
- The ABA’s monthly magazine, Law Practice Management
In addition, On Balance, the podcast series brought to you by the SBM and Legal Talk Network helps lawyers balance the demands of managing a practice with wellness. The monthly series hosted by JoAnn Hathaway of the PMRC and Tish Vincent of the Lawyers & Judges Assistance Program features a legal thought leader in their field.
Recent topics include:
- Connecting with Your Clients—Dr. Noelle Nelson gives listeners techniques for connecting with all types of clients.
- Do Rock the Boat: Making Workplace Conflict Productive—Dr. Liane Davey discusses better ways to resolve workplace conflict, building a more productive team.
- Manage What You Do: How Lawyers Can Accomplish More in Less Time—Allison Shields talks about setting goals, prioritizing tasks, and managing activities to accomplish more in less time.
- The Opioid Crisis: Solutions for a Rising Epidemic—Harry Nelson talks about his book, The United States of Opioid: A Prescription for Liberating A Nation in Pain, addressing the need for healthcare law reform and greater access to addiction treatment.
Legal Talk Network, a podcast network for legal professionals, produces and hosts On Balance. It offers more than 20 podcasts covering legal news and developments including access to justice, legal technology, and the future of the law. Hosts and guests represent prominent legal organizations including the American Bar Association, ABA Journal, Thomson Reuters, the Florida Bar, Robert Half Legal, Above the Law, and the Northwestern Pritzker School of Law.
Listening to podcasts is easy. iPhones and Androids already have podcast apps on their devices. Open them and follow directions to find the podcasts that interest you.
The PMRC is a valuable resource for the lawyers and legal staff of Michigan. The PMRC is available in several ways:
Take advantage of all the PMRC has to offer. It is your resource for all things related to practice management.
After years practicing law, Roberta Gubbins served as editor of the Ingham County Legal News. Since leaving the paper, she provides legal content writing for lawyers. She is editor of The Mentor, the SBM Master Lawyers newsletter. Writing as Alexandra Hawthorne, she published a cozy mystery, Murder One in Midvale Corners.
Read More Clear & Convincing Articles
Using the Enhanced Member Directory
How to Login and Edit Your Profile#ClearConvincing
CloudLawyers Directory Services
How to Contact CloudLawyers Support