The mission of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Section is to encourage conflict resolution by:
- Providing training and education for ADR professionals;
- Giving professionals the tools to empower people in conflict to create optimal resolutions;
- Promoting diversity and inclusion in the training, development, and selection of ADR providers and encouraging the elimination of discrimination and bias; and,
- Advancing the use of alternative dispute resolution processes in our courts, government, businesses, and communities.
Who We Are
The ADR Section is made up of individuals interested in conflict resolution, peacemaking, and improving the climate in Michigan for mediation, arbitration, and other forms of ADR. We include lawyers, law students, and non-lawyers. Joining the ADR Section places you in the forefront of a movement dedicated to providing better representation of the public through improvement of ADR practices and techniques.
Why You Should Join the ADR Section
Network and learn from top practitioners:
- Statewide networking events and outstanding training and skill building opportunities
- Regional mediator forums—where mediators share and learn from each other
- Annual Meeting—offering 8 hours of SCAO-approved advanced mediator training from Michigan talent.
- Annual Spring ADR Summit—offering an additional 8 hours of SCAO-approved advanced mediator training to showcase the finest national trainers available
- 4 Lunch and learn teleconferences per year
- Discounts on first class CLE, advanced mediator training programs and publications
Obtain critical resources to enhance your practice:
- Receive The Michigan Dispute Resolution Journal, a cogent and insightful periodical with practice tips, news, and thoughtful articles on all things ADR.
- Participate in SBM Connect, an online forum that brings you news and information, answers tough practice management questions, encourages enlightening exchanges, offers access to ADR leader blogs, and gives notice of upcoming member events.
- Access the ADR Section resource library and prior teleseminar materials, including model forms and settlement clauses.
- Quarterly 90 minute telephone seminars on timely topics.
Annual Dues only $40. Section Application PDF
Website & Listserv Posting Policy
The ADR Section has recently established policy guidelines for the administration of the Section website and listserv to provide for the efficient approval and posting of materials. Read the Policy PDF
ADR Annual Conference, Section Awards, and Annual Meeting
October 8-9, 2021, No Cost to Register
The ADR Section of the State Bar of Michigan is excited to present the 2021 ADR Conference, Section Awards and Annual Meeting, on October 8-9. Our program will once again be virtual and continue to recognize the need to offer advanced skills building, updates to the law, and also to address some important issues that intersect diversity and neutrality for providers. We will also be honoring our ADR Section award winners during the Conference. Our program offerings will challenge you and improve your skills. As in the past, up to 13 advanced mediation training credits will be offered. Because the Annual Conference and Meeting are virtual, you will be able to attend each program, rather than having to choose a track.
Review the Event Brochure and register. Note the experienced and talented presenters. There is NO cost to register.
Please join the exceptional presenters at the ADR Conference, help us honor the ADR Section award winners, and attend the Annual Meeting.