This fall the Young Lawyers Section will host the 22nd Annual National Trial Advocacy Competition (NTAC). This competition is designed for teams of four participants, made up of two advocates and two witnesses. Participants will have an opportunity to perfect their courtroom advocacy skills before judges and practitioners.
The competition will be held October 20-22, at the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center, in Detroit.
This year, the three preliminary rounds will be held on
- Friday, October 20th, from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Saturday, October 21st, from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Saturday, October 21st, from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
An Awards Reception sponsored by the State Bar of Michigan Litigation Section will be held October 21 at the Detroit Athletic Club from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Individual awards and the semifinal teams will be announced and all judges are welcome to attend.
The Semi Finals for the Top 4 teams will be held Sunday, October 22 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
The Championship Round will be held Sunday, October 22 from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
NTAC Judging Signup
Attorneys and Judges, we would love to have your support this year to judge the competition as we continue to grow the NTAC event as a signature event for the State Bar of Michigan Young Lawyers Section. Sign ups are now live here and judging materials will be sent out a few weeks before the competition.
Thank you in advance for your support.
Team Entry Application
Applications will be accepted until May 5, 2023. Applications must be e-mailed to email@example.com and bear the subject line “2023 NTAC Application.” Please include in your application the following information:
- Law school name, address, and phone number
- Faculty/primary contact for this competition and phone number
- Primary e-mail address for communication (acceptance will be e-mailed to this address only!)
- Brief description of previous participation in regional and national competitions
- Selected teams will be notified by e-mail on May 12, 2023.
- Teams must accept invitations by May 26, 2023.
- The registration fee of $700 for selected teams that accept are due by May 26, 2023. Further details concerning payment and hotel block will follow when teams are notified of their acceptance.
Competition Problem & Questions
The competition problem will be released to selected, accepted teams on June 30, 2023.
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NTAC Previous Winners
- 2023 Harvard Law School
- 2022 Harvard Law School
- 2022 (Zoom) University of Houston Law Center Team #2
- 2018 University of Illinois College of Law
- 2017 Samford University—Cumberland School of Law
- 2016 University of Houston Law Center
- 2015 University of Houston Law Center
- 2014 Samford University—Cumberland School of Law
- 2013 Faulkner University Jones School of Law
- 2012 Georgia State University College of Law
- 2011 Samford University—Cumberland School of Law
- 2010 Barry University Dwayne O. Andreas School of Law
- 2009 University of Alabama School of Law
- 2008 Baylor University Law School
- 2007 Southern Methodist University, Dedman School of Law
- 2006 Southern Methodist University, Dedman School of Law
- 2005 Southern Methodist University, Dedman School of Law
- 2004 University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Law
- 2003 Georgia State University School of Law
- 2002 Florida State University School of Law
- 2001 Georgia State University School of Law
- 2000 Southern Methodist University School of Law