Search

1 to 10 of 192
Sort by

Blog Entry
PMRC Library at Your Fingertips

The Practice Management Resource Center (PMRC) has a lending library of print and digital books on a variety of topics to help attorneys with all phases of their practice. Print books, for which there is a fee, are shipped upon request and must be returned by mail in two weeks. Members can also...


Blog Entry
The PMRC Helps You Manage Your Practice

The practice of law consists of two parts. One part is your brilliant closing argument that won the case for your client, a well-researched brief, a tightly worded contract, or a clever cross-examination. The other part is the business of managing employees, maintaining technology, accurate...


Blog Entry
The Practice of Limited Scope Representation

The SBM Lawyer Referral Service reports that they receive 20–25 calls per week asking for limited scope assistance. As word of the practice spreads, there will be more clients looking for limited scope representation (LSR) and creating more opportunities for you to expand your business. How do...


Blog Entry
New Limited Scope Representation Rules

Last week we introduced limited scope representation , a method of legal representation in which an attorney and client agree to limit the scope of the attorney’s involvement in a civil lawsuit, leaving responsibility for other aspects of the case to clients in order to save money and give them...


Blog Entry
Introduction to Limited Scope Representation

Limited scope representation , also known as unbundled legal services and discrete task representation , is a method of legal representation in which attorney and client agree to limit the attorney’s involvement in a civil lawsuit, leaving responsibility for other parts of the case to the...


Blog Entry
Casemaker Launches Casemaker4

On June 3, 2019, Casemaker, a free member service offered by the State Bar of Michigan, launched Casemaker4 , a redesign of its web-based legal research platform. The new version, according to the company, keeps features users liked while improving search speed and design responsiveness. When...


Blog Entry
Casemaker—A Free Research Tool for Your Practice

Casemaker, a free member service provided by the State Bar of Michigan, is a web-based program for legal research. Its library contains codes, rules, and case law that you can browse and search. Michigan lawyers can search all 50 states and the federal districts. The Casemaker library is...


Blog Entry
Reviews Help Your Business Grow

Recently, I received an email from an attorney who received a bad review on a national directory. The attorney was understandably upset and wanted to immediately respond. I advised a cooling-off period, reminding him that consumer research shows that a negative review improves the credibility of...


Blog Entry
Consumers & Lawyers Benefit from SBM Member Directory

During the month of May, the SBM Member Directory had 598,880 page views. Of the 61,052 visitors to the site, 45,326, or 67%, were new visitors. The remaining 33% were returning visitors. Why does the online directory get so much traffic and how does this affect you? The member directory...


Blog Entry
Every Law Firm Needs a Brochure

“The problem with marketing the practice of law is that the service we provide isn’t tangible,” Linda Lawyer said to her brother, Lance, as they enjoyed a cup of coffee in their firm’s break room. “It’s not a car you can drive or a book you can read. It’s a will or a trust that goes in a drawer...